Being lost in Australia gives you a lovely sense of security”- Bruce Chatwin
Standing proud with 8 of the top 100 universities around the world, Australia offers much more than mesmerising scenic beauty, sand beaches, bush tucker, exotic kangaroos, and koalas. Every year, around 4 22, 095 students enrol to study in Australia, making it one of the best countries in the world for international students. Further, it had retained its steady flow of international students, when 440,219 students enrolled as of March 2022, registering a double-digit growth of 11% compared to the last year.
Other crucial reasons behind being the popular destination for overseas education are its world-class education, lucrative post-study work opportunities, excellent quality of living, steady innovation, excellent faculty, and the like. And while the academics add to the call value, perhaps Australia is the only country that has a pull due to its spectacular living conditions and the promise of outstanding student life. This amalgamation makes your decision to pursue your study abroad ventures in Australia one of a kind.
Now, choosing to study in Australia can bring forth countless queries. Here, we have done a bit of extensive legwork for you. Today’s ultimate guide will walk you through certain essential info like the best universities in the country, brilliant courses, fees, visa, and eligibility that will help you fuel your academic endeavours in the best possible ways.
Let’s dive right in!
Education System In Australia: A Quick Overview
Australia has been emerging as a preferred study abroad destination for international students for quite a few years now. This is mainly because the education system in Australia is brilliantly structured and rightly formulated to offer wise options to students for their future. The Australian education system also has attained its popularity as the AQF, or Australian Qualifications Framework was introduced in 1995.
Broadly, the AQF offers certificates at the primary, secondary, and tertiary levels of education. And overall, AQF certifies students based on distinct levels. As a whole, there are 10 levels starting from Certificate 1 to Doctorate. The various degrees offered under the AQF education system are-
- Associate Degree/ Advanced Diploma (Level 6)- Here, students are provided with wide knowledge and skills for highly skilled work and/or further learning. This takes about 1.5-2 years to complete.
- Bachelors (Level 7)- Spanning over 3-4 years, this degree aims at offering broad and coherent knowledge for professional, highly skilled work or for further learning.
- Bachelor Honours (Level 8)- This level(0.5-1 year) is a specialised undergraduate degree that imparts advanced knowledge and skills for professional, highly skilled work/further learning.
- Masters (Level 9)- Masters in Australia (1-2 years) is an expert-level graduate degree in a specific subject.
- Doctorate (Level 10)- This is a postgraduate degree that takes a total of 3-4 years to complete in Australia.
Now that you’re well-versed with different educational levels let’s go-knee deep to know the top universities you must consider while planning for abroad education in Australia-
|UNIVERSITY||QS WORLD RANKING 2022||AVERAGE TUITION FEES/ YEAR|
|Australian National University (ANU)||27||AUD 33,000-AUD 50,000|
|University Of Sydney||38||AUD 30,000-AUD 59,000|
|University of Melbourne||37||AUD 30,000-AUD 48,000|
|University of New South Wales (UNSW)||43||AUD 16,000-AUD 46,000|
|University of Queensland (UQ)||47||AUD 30,000-AUD 43,000|
|Monash University||47||AUD 25,000- AUD 37,000|
|University of Western Australia (UWA)||93||AUD 23,000- AUD 53,000|
|University of Adelaide||108||AUD 23,000- AUD 53,000|
|University of Technology Sydney (UTS)||133||AUD 20,000- AUD 37,000|
|University of Wollongong||193||AUD 20,000- AUD 30,000|
The Best Courses to Pursue In Australia
More often than not, numerous international students who plan to study abroad in Australia search for lucrative employment opportunities upon graduation. Most of the courses offered in the country are taught remarkably with excellent exposure to both practical and theoretical knowledge.
If you aim to pursue international education in Australia, below-enlisted are certain courses that are high in demand and will thus increase your employment prospects by manifolds-
- Accountancy and finance
- Earth Sciences
- Agricultural sciences
- Computer Science and Information Technology
- Tourism and Hospitality Management
- Business Management
The most popular programs that students opt for abroad education in Australia are-
|Program||Duration||Average Tuition Fees/Year|
|B. Eng Civil Engineering||3 years||AUD 35,000|
|B Med+ MD||5-6 years||AUD 28,000|
|MSc Computer Science||1.5-2 years||AUD 35,000|
|MSc Data Science||1-2 years||AUD 45,000|
|MA Applied Economics||2 years||AUD 25,000|
|MBA||2 years||AUD 60,000|
|LLM||1 year||AUD 28,000|
|MSc Information Technology||2 years||AUD 30,000|
Visa Procedure: Essentials You Must Remember
To get admission overseas in Australia, it is crucial to first get an Australian student visa. If you’re travelling to Australia for a short course of 6-12 weeks, you can apply for a tourist visa. However, for longer-duration courses, you will need to apply for the Australian Student Visa.
Take a look at the guidelines mentioned below to get approval for your visa in an instant-
- After you’ve been chosen by your desired university in the Land of Oz, you will receive an offer of acceptance. After which, you can go ahead to pay the tuition fees for the course. When you do so, your university will send you a Confirmation of Enrolment Letter or COE. This is a vital document for your visa application.
- The student visa process for Australia is initiated online by opening an account on the Australian immigration website.
- Ensure you have all the documents in digital format to apply for the Subclass 500 Student Visa.
- Fill out the visa application form online for Subclass 500 Student Visa along with the CoE no and country codes. The application can take up to 125 days to process. Thus, you are suggested to process your application in advance.
- After successful completion, pay the visa fees of AUD 620 (approximately) and get your TRN number.
- After receiving your TRN no., get a medical check-up done as a prerequisite.
- Attend the Australian visa interview process. Wait for the Visa papers.
- Start packing!
Here are certain important documents and personal details you must keep handy to apply for a Subclass 5000 Australian Student Visa–
- Valid passport
- Health insurance
- CoE letter
- Proof of finance (As per the recent requirement, you need to show AUD 20,290 for a year of study in Australia)
- Proof of temporary stay
- Birth certificate
- Address and Education proofs
- Qualification certificates
- Bank statements
- IELTS or TOEFL score report
- Proof of previous employment
- Documents stating you do not have any previous record
By now, we hope you have gauged on overall picture of pursuing international education in Australia. Academically and otherwise, it is an outstanding country to travel, explore diverse cultures, study, or even work. If you’ve made up your mind to embark on your adventurous overseas education journey to the ‘land down under, get scrolling through the list of top universities and start applying. Here’s wishing you all the luck in your academic endeavours!