I recently tried to migrate from Lotus Notes to Office 365 manually, and there I encountered some challenges. As a user, I think you can also face this problem. Hence, I am sharing this article so you can easily upload the Notes NSF file database to Office 365.
Microsoft Office 365 is the most popular in the cloud environment. It offers many advantages over the email platform that HCL Notes, formerly known as IBM Lotus Notes, did not provide. Every business wants to migrate to Office 365 from other platforms, especially those using IBM Lotus Notes.
How to Import from Lotus Notes to Exchange Online
There are two different tricks by using that users can migrate the Domino Notes database into Office 365. As per your choice you can try one of them.
Method 1: Manually Migrate from Lotus Notes to Office 365 via IMAP
When you wish to migrate all of your data from IBM Notes to Microsoft Office 365 manually, you may use it. Follow the four steps below:
Step 1: Take Backup in NSF File
Before performing the migration, creating a backup in an NSF file is important to avoid data loss that mistakes might cause during the transfer process. For backup, you can create Lotus Notes archives.
Step 2: New mailboxes
The next step is establishing new mailboxes for each user with a profile in the desktop email client for Lotus Notes.
Step 3: Enable IMAP TCP/IP Port
Open Domino Administrator in IBM Lotus Notes and take the steps listed below to enable IMAP for all users:
- Select the Configuration tab.
- Open the Server document for the server that is running the IMAP service.
- Select the Mail Tab under Port>Internet Port.
- Enable the default IMAP TCP/IP port. You must set the “TCP/IP Port Value Status” in the Mail column to “Enabled.” Select “Save.”
Step 4: Connect using IMAP Connector
To sync emails from Lotus Notes to Office 365, use the IMAP Connector.
Once you’ve finished the four steps, you can migrate from a Lotus Notes environment to an Office 365 environment. The IMAP connection has limits, but this method does not exceed them.
Limitations of migration using IMAP
Lotus Notes to Office 365 migration via IMAP has the following limitations:
- If a firewall and proxy protect the Lotus Notes client, it will be unable to access the Internet.
- If the Lotus Notes email client is disabled, IMAP connections will not be permitted.
- The IMAP connection restricts the transmission of calendar entries, forcing manual entry generation, which slows down the transfer process.
- Online data will be transferred to Office 365.
- IMAP connection has a 1 GB email transfer limit.
Method 2: Using Lotus Notes to Office 365 Migration Tool
The previously described method has disadvantages and can’t be used by a user without technical understanding. The above technique is challenging to use if you need to transfer several accounts or mailboxes from IBM Lotus Notes to Office 365.
- You can migrate one or more mailboxes from IBM Lotus Notes to Office 365.
- You may move all mailbox data elements, including emails, contacts, attachments, and notes.
- Data migration with Impersonate Export is possible for admins using the NSF to O365 conversion tool.
- Versions of Lotus Notes 10.0.1, 9.0.1, 9.0, 8.5, 8.0.2, 7.0, 6.5, and 6.0 are supported by the software.
- Moving an NSF database to Cloud Office 365 goes much faster using the tool.
Steps to Upload Notes to Office 365 Using MailsDaddy Tool:
- Download and Install the MailsDaddy Lotus Notes to Office 365 Migration Tool.
- Launch the Tool and Click on Add File button to browse NSF files. Click on OK.
- Click on the Export button.
- Now an export Window will appear on the screen. Select “Export All Folders” or “Export Selected Folders” as per your need. Now select Office 365 >> select a required option, Export NSF files Inside archive folder OR Export NSF files into Office 365 Primary Mailbox as per your requirement. Click on Export.
- Now here software needs your exchange admin’s login details like Tenant ID, Client ID, Client Secret (Value), and User ID. To read how to generate the azure app tenant id, client id, and secret value details.
- The software begins migration and shows the status through the progress bar. You may pause or resume the conversion process in between if you want. The software will display a message “Selected folders exported successfully to your Office 365 account. Click on the OK button.
The software comes with the free demo version of the Lotus Notes to Office 365 Migration Tool for your satisfaction. It gives you the facility to migrate 20 items per folder. For any help, visit the Mailsdaddy’s website and contact the support team.
Also Read: Benefits Of Using Social Media Apps